Offering a unique perspective of the world while promoting equal rights and democracy. Also known in some circles as pushing the Gay & Lesbian Liberal Agenda.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Idea

This is from Yarn-A-Go-Go. It is an action response to the much talked about Know Thy Neighbor site. An alternative response.
So here's my idea.

The signers of the anti-gay marriage petition in Massachusetts (the so-called Constitutional Amendment to Define Marriage) are listed here and are a matter of public record. It's a hateful, unloving thing to put your name to, although I support their right to do so.

It's just that I'd like them to make a positive difference, if only in spite of themselves.

The Human Rights Campaign is the nation's largest non-profit organization working for the rights of all lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and transgendered individuals. They do a bang-up job, and they have a HUGE fight to fight on a state and a federal level. I throw money at them when I can, but it's not often, and it's not as much as I'd like.
But I'd like to donate a gift subscription in the name of the first signer of the petition. For $35, she'll receive in the mail a cuddly equality bear, and for $50 she'll get not only the bear, but a nice equality baseball cap, too! I get to include my own (very nice and loving) note to her, as well. I will refrain from asking her what the eff she was thinking, promoting the deliberate stripping away of her fellow American citizens' civil rights, and instead thank her for opening my eyes to the fact that the divide between people like her and people like me is so wide that I need to take positive action. I will thank her for prompting me to donate to HRC, and wish her love in her life, which is what we all want, right? I just want to marry my girlfriend. It's just about love, compassion, and respect. That's all.


So - what do you think? Go check out the post.
I think I may be in.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rachael said...

By the way, I *heart* your shirt, promoting the homosexual agenda. I will look good in my green one. Thanks.

2:45 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks for shopping with me! I'm getting that in green as well. After all, the agenda does need promoting!

12:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home